perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl_site [design discussion]
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:52:57 GMT
allan wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Now I don't follow you. The only thing I was saying is that I think
>>prev-up-next and toc-top widgets are serving a similar role, so it'd be
>>nice to have them look alike.
>>

> ok i give in :-)
> lets keep them similar somehow, see a top-suggestion (:-))
> involving an image though, at
>
> http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/examples/top/top_ex.html
>

> not sure if they (top-widget) should be kept left-aligned ??

very neat, I like it (the button). But it should link to #toc and not #top.

So what do you think, should we drop [toc] or [top]? or should we keep both?

>>Remember that perl.com is also a commercial company so they may want to
>>realize the user that beware, you are about to leave our site and go
>>into unexplored, unsafe grounds. Not we, why do we want to distinguish
>>exiting points? A user can always click back. Adding to the fact that
>>it's going to be very clear once we finish the look-n-feel-the-same design.
>>

> well that might well be, but from a user-friendly point of
> view i just like the fact that i the user can see beforehand
> that this navigation goes to another site (commercial or
> whatever) and i even think in our case more so, because it
> is so full of information and a new user might get lost
> inside the wealh of information. also it is not always true
> that a user just can click back (some sites redirect the
> back function to their own sites - well not those we link to
> of course .-))

But that's the whole deal about having a consistent look and feel.
Believe me once user gets lost and goes out of our site, he will notice.

I doubt anybody notice where they are at the current site :) or :(

>>I agree though that we may want to mark specially outgoing links in the
>>menu, e.g. some small icon?
>>

> which ones are outgoing from the menu?

news@take23.org to start with. May have more in the future.

Alternatively I suggest to have two menu bars once for the internal
content and second for outgoing links? I dunno, just an idea. I'm not
sure whether news@take23.org should go down. Unless someone decide to do
the news on our site :)