perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [modperl site design challenge] and the winner is...
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:45:15 GMT
Thomas Klausner wrote:

 > Hi!
 >
 > On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:34:50PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
 >
 >>It does work for this page, but if I go to
 >>http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/contribute/index.html it's narrow
 >>again. Aren't you using the same css file?
 >>
 > I looks fine for me:
 > http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/screenshot.png
 > (Mozilla  M18
 > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.4.9 i686; en-US; m18) Gecko/20001103
 > )

Not for me:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.6) Gecko/20011012

mine is newer: 0.9.6, but the important engine is gecko which is much
never too.

 >>>If you do page design only with style sheets, the page will look
 >>>strange/wrong on some browser without proper CSS support. So you'll
need a
 >>>good browser (Mozilla/Opera) and basically forget about non standard
 >>>compliant browsers. Don't try to be cross-browser compatible, be
standards
 >>>compatible (validator.w3.org is your friend..)!
 >>>
 >>but we have users of all kinds, and we probably don't want to cut those
 >>off, right?
 >>
 > Definitly not. But I'd like to get a basic desing working (at least
on the
 > browsers I have access to) and afterward try to resolve all problems
other
 > users have with other browsers.

sounds good to me

 > So i'd suggest we try to finish this design ASAP (IMO it looks quite nice
 > right now, much better than all of the inital submissions), and than
either
 > a) put it online and let other users comment on it
 > or
 > b) let other users comment on it and put it online afterward.

All those really interested in helping are listening right now, and can
chime in. So I say we go with a) and since we make it really easy to
change everything, we can fix things afterwards.

More issues:

* the copyright bar should go back to the
bottom, even if it fits nicely under the menu (there is no added value
to it). The 'ad' box should stay under the menu.

* is there any way we could make the << ^ >> standout? It'll help
location the navigation widgets a lot. And I guess the same for toc/top.
BTW, a few people said that only top or only toc should be there.

* The real documents should have their css spiced up, all black/white
text is hard to read. Can we put back the coloured H1-H6 and make the
<PRE></PRE> section use a different background? I don't remember where
I've seen a very good CSS for <PRE> sections. Remember that it should be
  just a little bit greish, since people tend to print pages and then
they complain about abusing their printers' cartridges.