perl-docs-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl_site [design discussion]
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:00:49 GMT
> this is my first post to this list so i might have missed
> something :-)

Nope, you didn't miss anything :)

> regarding the new design for the mod_perl site i have made a
> rough suggestion.
> since i dont know how we should aproach this idea of working
> together all of us i have just thrown this into the ring.
>

> it is based on thomas design and carlos topbar with a bit of
> ASF-colors and a little bit of my own tidbits.
> the reson for that is entirely because of the majority of
> comments from the mod_perl_list voters.

Looks good. My "minus" comments :) :

* The title should be on the left. The humans are used to read left to
right, let's not break the expectations.

* The menu is not fixed and may grow, so it's probably the best to keep
it as a single column on the left (but trying to keep it as narrow as
possible). Also in order to avoid unnecessary scrolling on short pages,
it's probably the best to keep the head of the page as short as possible.

* The copyright's place is in the tail, there is no added value for
users to eyeball it unless you work for ORA :)

* The mod_perl box in the upper left corner is a way too big :) I think
Thomas' transparent mod_perl box is neat. Should be there, but not to
try to be too outstanding. There is not much added value to it once you
know you are on the mod_perl site and it distructs from the rest of the
content.

* The TOP^ link is not obvious that it's link. I think it'd be nice to
have it of the same style as [prev - up - next] widget, so it'll be
clear what are navigation widgets.

* The [prev - up - next] widget is neat but should be centered and
appear on the top as well. Before the table of contents I guess.

* Finally the font looks quite bad on mozilla/linux. There is not enough
vertical spacing and I guess there are better standard fonts, to make it
easier to read. I think Thomas' font selection was very good

> it is only one html page (i havent had the time to try and
> incorporate it in a build, which would also be a waste of
> time before everyone can agree on a final design.)

which also means that the original Thomas' design problem wasn't solved
yet. If the page has a little or no content the content box will shrink
and look bad when you browse pages. And it'll move the left part of the
page closer to the center. Somehow we must make it fixed, so when you
flip between pages, the main parts of the page don't move.

I think that this problem can be fixed by making the 'where I'm in the
site' widget bar of a fixed size? Or is it a bad idea?

> stas:
> some of the html that is produced in the build procedure
> just isnt valid. can we fix this somehow?

sure, but that's unrelated to the core design. We will fix those later.
So please disregard this problem for now.