perl-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Förtsch <torsten.foert...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: httpd24 branch
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:39:47 GMT
On 02/25/2013 12:20 PM, Jan Kaluža wrote:
>> I've played with my systems /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file, is that a
>> problem?
>
> I'm not sure how exactly Apache-Test works, but there are some comments
> about "system-wide httpd.conf", so I presume it gets the list of modules
> from the system-wide httpd.conf.

Before starting the httpd Apache::Test calls

  apxs -q SYSCONFDIR

to get the location of the system httpd.conf. Based on that file it
creates t/conf/httpd.conf. In particular, it inherits LoadModule and
LoadFile directives.

This kind of DWIMing has pluses and minuses. If you look from the
perspective of a certain system with a complex custom configuration and
you run the tests for an additional module to be integrated then it is
perhaps a plus to have all the other (custom) modules included when
testing. On the other hand, if you are a RPM package builder or similar
it is perhaps better to inherit from a certain standard configuration.
That's why t/TEST accepts the --httpd_conf and --httpd_conf_extra options.

However, Andy's problem is an error. Directives that are provided by
optional modules should be wrapped in a <IfModule> block. Apache::Test
also provides need* and have* routines to skip tests if a module is
missing. Though, it is a nightmare to get all this optional stuff right.

Torsten