perl-dev mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl 2.0.6
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:17:27 GMT
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> That's an assertion in need of evidence.

It's only a guess, and I don't care enough to go through the code for
evidence.  I think people generally underestimate the complexity of
HTTP and the difficulty of writing a bug-free network server based on
it.  Apache HTTPD is the result of years worth of debugging, and I
wouldn't trade it for a recently developed server.

I also remember Matt Sergeant discovering that with AxKit if he
created a mod_perl alternative that had no hooks at all for the Apache
API stages (e.g. auth) that it was measurably faster than mod_perl.  I
don't think we'd want to trade the hooks for more speed though.

All that being said, there's always room for improvement in
performance and I'm sure mod_perl could be faster with some
optimization work.

- Perrin