perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Hay" <Steve...@planit.com>
Subject RE: modperl - quo vadis?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:22:37 GMT
Torsten Förtsch wrote on 2011-02-02:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 09:29:51 Steve Hay wrote:
>> Yes, I build on Windows and care about Windows support. It all works
>> pretty-much out-of-the-box for me, certainly on XP using VS2008 (VC9)
>> (either the full commercial version, or the free Express version):
>>
>> Build Perl: nmake INST_TOP=C:\perl5 CCTYPE=MSVC90 USE_IMP_SYS=undef
>> PERL_MALLOC=define nmake INST_TOP=C:\perl5 CCTYPE=MSVC90
>> USE_IMP_SYS=undef PERL_MALLOC=define test
>
> ok, I tried vs2010 + perl 5.13.9 on vista.
>
> Compilation went without problems. While making test a few tests are
> skipped, most are ok. But porting/buildtoc.t fails and now the test
> suite is stalled in cpan/Archive-Extract/t/01_Archive-Extract.t ... 342/?
>
> So, again I am failing on the preliminaries, :-(
>
> With perl 5.12.3 it stalled a bit earlier.

I normally build on XP at the moment, which is working fine for me. Maybe you get the odd
test failure on other OSes, I'm not sure. I think I've seen Archive-Extract trouble before
when I've had gzip/zip/tar programs in the PATH (e.g. having Cygwin's bin folder in the PATH
might interfere). If you're on Vista or higher it might also be worth turning off UAC (User
Account Control), which I generally find is more trouble than it's worth.

If you get a test hanging then Process Explorer [1] is really good for showing a tree view
of running processes: simply kill the perl.exe at the bottom of the tree of processes comprising
the test suite and that will kill that one test and allow the remainder to continue.

You can always run individual failed tests later, of course, to examine why they failed.

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653