perl-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Another A:T patch for review
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:53:36 GMT
I said this stuff in IRC, but I'll put it here too in case anyone else
wants to weigh in.

 From what I understand, the primary goal of this patch is to fix a
bunch of false failures that are coming back for Apache::Test from cpan
testers for Apache::Test (see links below).

The bulk of this patch rips out a bunch of code that tried to help make
your tests pass, if for some reason you were running them as root.

I'm not really sure what the benefit of ripping all that code out is.
Sure, it's a bad idea to run your tests as root, but someone (stas by
the looks of things) thought handling that condition was worth writing a
few hundred lines of code back when it got written.

I think it would be less risky to make a release that only the
$ENV{AUTOMATED_TESTING} hunk, and see if that fixed the issue with CPAN
testers.

Thoughts?

Adam

cpan testers failure reports: