perl-dev mailing list archives

From "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Startup Slow with DSO mod_perl
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 01:20:16 GMT
On Apr 3, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>> It seems to be slow there, too. It takes about 6 seconds to start up
>> (Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
>> mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0)
>
> Any insights on what's it doing when it's acting up slow?
>
> I'd look at running httpd under strace (or equivalent) just to get
> an idea
> as to what it's doing that's so different than the static case.

No. It does seem like if I stop and start very quickly on my Mac, the
startup is pretty quick, just a few seconds. But if I wait 30-60s
after shutting down before starting up again, it's slow again. But
it's not always quicker on the quick restart.

Otherwise, the only other thing I've noticed is that it's never slow
with static mod_perl1.

Where do I find something to tell me how to use strace with Apache on
Mac OS X? Pointers appreciated.

Best,

David