perl-dev mailing list archives

From "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>
Subject Re: Startup Slow with DSO mod_perl
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:58:16 GMT
On Apr 3, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>> Where do I find something to tell me how to use strace with Apache on
>> Mac OS X? Pointers appreciated.
>
> Assuming you are running 10.5, try dtruss
>
> $> sudo dtruss /path/to/my/httpd -X [...]
>
> Should spew out what it's up to.

Thanks. Output attached. I put this in a BEGIN block in the Bricolage

BEGIN {
     print STDERR '@' x 78;
     print STDERR "Running Bric::App:ApacheConfig\n";
     print STDERR '@' x 78;
}

And stuck this at the end of it:

print STDERR '@' x 78;
print STDERR "Done running Bric::App:ApacheConfig\n";
print STDERR '@' x 78;

> But this could be very well just be cost you are paying for loading
> a bunch
> of shared libraries, it's not something blazing fast on OS X. Just
> guessing.

It sure seems to be loading a shitload more Perl modules; they all
load with static mod_perl, too, though, and that's good and fast.
There are also a ton of calls to munmap(). Other than obvious
flushing, I don't see it getting hung up on any one thing. :-(

Thanks,

David