perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: Shutdown behavior
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:11:30 GMT

> And then we have $r->child_terminate which simply calls exit() at
> C-level in a request pool cleanup. So, no perl-level cleanup at all is
> done.

fwiw, I've never been happy with the implementation of child_terminate()
in 2.0 - in mp1 it was a nice, graceful way of cleaning up a child
process, whereas now it's abrupt and sometimes leaves things in an
incomplete state.  a good example is Devel::Profiler, which registers a
cleanup handler to reap profiling data - in mp1 you can proactively call
child_terminate() to force httpd child exit, which generates the
profile, whereas in mp2 doing so essentially kills the process and wipes
out all your data.

I've love if this particular aspect had a better solution, though
threads really complicates things...

--Geoff