perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: What happened with Apache2::Reload in mod_perl-2.0.4?
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:56:01 GMT
Petr Sumbera wrote:
> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Petr Sumbera wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> can you please explain how should I understand this thread?
>>> Will mod_perl 2.0.5 contain Apache2::Reload again? Or I misunderstand
>>> it? It's not in trunk. When will be 2.0.5 out?
>>
>> It should be in trunk if you did an svn checkout.
>
> I don't see Reload.pm anywhere.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/lib/Apache2/

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-Reload/trunk/

For comparison, mod_perl trunk is at

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/

>> I don't think a date has been set for 2.0.5, but given that ApacheCon
>> is in early November I'm guessing that a good bit of hacking will get
>> done there and a release would be likely to happen around then.
>
> I'm concerned with compatibility. Shouldn't be this released as soon as
> possible?

Can you elaborate on your compatibility concerns?  You have a huge list
of mod_perl developers here to help you out :)

I know that every time resource locations change there is a certain
amount of work users have to do to adapt.  But the developers also need
feedback - thank you for providing it.

> Thanks,
>
> Petr
>
>>> Fred Moyer wrote:
>>>  > Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Fred Moyer wrote:
>>>  >>> Niels van Dijke wrote:
>>>  >>>> Hi mod_perl maintainers,
>>>  >>>>
>>>  >>>> Thank you for releasing mod_perl 2.0.4.
>>>  >>>>
>>>  >>>> I was wondering what happened to Apache2::Reload? Was it missed
in
>>>  >>>> packaging for the upload to CPAN? If so then there may be other

>>> files
>>>  >>>> missing too.
>>>  >>> See the Changelog:
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> Apache2::Reload has been moved to an externally maintained
>>>  >>> CPAN distribution
>>>  >>>
>>>  >>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Reload-0.10/
>>>  >> hmm...
>>>  >>
>>>  >> I can't remember if I knew this or not, but we probably ought to
>>> treat
>>>  >> this like Apache-Test: keep bundling it with releases _and_ maintain
>>>  >> something separate on CPAN.
>>>  > That's on the radar for 2.0.5, along with Apache::SizeLimit, to
>>> bundle
>>>  > using svn:external.  Phillip Gollucci brought this up about a
>>> month ago
>>>  > or so, and I started to move on it but Gozer brought up a number of
>>>  > things that had to be done to make this happen and the works with
>>> 5.10
>>>  > release was pressing at that point.
>>>  >
>>>  > Don't worry, I won't forget about it :)

Red Hot Penguin Consulting LLC
mod_perl/PostgreSQL consulting and implementation
http://www.redhotpenguin.com/