perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [RFC] Apache::Bootstrap 0.01 proof of concept]
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 01:10:02 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> | I've pulled the bootstrap code out of Apache::Reload into a standalone
> | module Apache::Bootstrap.  I didn't fix any of the current issues,
> | merely ported it out, and tested the implementation with Apache::Reload,
> | which seems to be working as well as when it the bootstrap code was
> | embedded.
> |
> | I've posted a proof of concept for review [1].  Please take a look and
> | provide feedback.  I've also posted the refactored A::R Makefile.PL [2].
> |
> | If this approach sits well I'll move ahead with updating it to address
> | the CPAN testers PRs that are coming in from version issues.
> |

> | [1] http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-Bootstrap-0.01.tar.gz
> |
> | [2] http://people.apache.org/~phred/A_R_Makefile.PL
> I'll try to look at this tonight.......
>
> Unless I'm ridiculously slow, lets hold off changing anything until I
> can at
> least read it.

I'm going to be at the hacking again tomorrow.  I've been thinking about
this code this week, and it seems better suited as functional, not
object oriented, so will probably make that change and possibly push
0.02 out to CPAN, along with a new version of Apache::Dispatch which
uses this code.

Any feedback at all (this sucks, I love it, what are you smoking) is
welcome :)  We definitely have a need for something that solves the
problem of bootstrapping mod_perl base dependencies for
Apache::(Reload|SizeLimit|Other).  Having code that fills this need will
no doubt facilitate modules being dual mp1/mp2 capable.