perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=32992
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 18:09:15 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=32992
>
> Any thoughts on adding version.pm as a new depency ?

I've never had a good handle on why this module is needed, but it seems
like it makes $VERSION just work across different versions of Perl.
Maybe a really simple example would clear this up for me.

I haven't run into a situation where I have needed to use it myself,
just have had to install it because something else has needed it.  Maybe
I'm ignorant of the need here :) but I've always used the 1.23 decimal
type of format to version my code.  They didn't teach me the fancy stuff
like 1.2.3 in math class :)