perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Test::Apache Failure with Apache 2.2
Date Sun, 04 May 2008 00:52:40 GMT
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 2, 2008, at 19:30, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> I've just been updating the test suite for
>> MasonX::Interp::WithCallbacks and noticed that, while tests pass
>> perfectly with Apache 1, the server never starts up with Apache 2.
>
> Never mind. I figured it out. I had to change this:
>
>     <Perl>
>       use File::Spec::Functions qw(catdir);
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', 'lib';
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', '..', 'blib';
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', '..', 'lib';
>     </Perl>
>
> To be surrounded by an IfDefine:
>
>   <IfDefine !MODPERL2>
>     <Perl>
>       use File::Spec::Functions qw(catdir);
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', 'lib';
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', '..', 'blib';
>       use lib catdir '@ServerRoot@', '..', 'lib';
>     </Perl>
>   </IfDefine>
>
> Not sure why there's a difference here between mod_perl 1 and mod_perl
> 2, but I'm happy that the solution seems to be simple. Is this something
> that's documented somewhere?

MODPERL2 is documented here, although it doesn't answer the question of
why the server starts with that directive and doesn't start without it:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Making_Code_Conditional_on_Running_mod_perl_Version

Most instances of the server not starting which have not been related to
the timeout being too low were missing test skips if a certain module
wasn't present (i.e. mod_alias, etc).  I know I've fixed a few of those
issues, but there may be some remaining.  My guess is that your httpd
builds may  not have the exact same modules compiled in or loaded
dynamically.

I don't really understand why you need that perl section at all though,
Apache::Test should be picking up those library paths implicitly.