perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [mp2 patch] Support for ithreads in Perl 5.10
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 09:32:20 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> I am going to post a more detailled explanation of the following patch
> in a little bit, but it takes care of one more *big* bug that would basically
> segfault against threads Perl as soon as perl-level threads were spawned.
> Not good.
>
> The patches fixes that part for me, and the test suite is looking much
> happier by now. Before I check this in, I need to clean things up a little
> more and I am worried this could introduce the usual Win32 breakeage and
> possibly against Perl 5.6, all and any testing certainly welcome from the
> folks already jumping to 5.10
>
> Failed Test                  Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
> t/directive/perlloadmodule.t  255 65280    ??   ??  ??
> t/directive/perlrequire.t                   2    1  1
> t/perl/ithreads2.t            255 65280    ??   ??  ??
> 6 tests and 17 subtests skipped.
> Failed 3/244 test scripts. 1/2631 subtests failed.
> Files=244, Tests=2631, 208 wallclock secs (142.38 cusr + 18.50 csys = 160.88 CPU)
>
> Not quite "works with Perl 5.10" yet, but getting there.

Scratch that last comment! A slightly tweaked patch is attached.

All tests successful, 5 tests and 17 subtests skipped.
Files=244, Tests=2651, 149 wallclock secs (77.19 cusr + 15.58 csys = 92.77 CPU)

Turns out the errors I am seeing are because I've been testing against
a debugging build of perl that turns on all sorts of extra sanity checks,
and we are failing in there.

It does point to things that needs fixing anyhow, but once this patch
is tested not to break anything, I'd be tempted to claim "Works with Perl-5.10"

So, if you could please give this patch a spin to see what it breaks,
if anything.

Thanks!