perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [rt.cpan.org #30061] $r->pnotes stores aliases not copies so is subject to action at a distance]
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:50:53 GMT

Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 18:10, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>> Yeah, I know. If you ask me, this pnotes behaviour is wrong, but we chose
>> to keep it around for historical reasons. It's not a bug if it's documented
>
> It is a bug. If it is documented it is a documented bug. I was hit by it once
> and spent a day or so to find it, really nasty. I cannot agree with
> the "historical" reason. If something is wrong it it wrong and it doesn't
> matter how long it has been wrong before.

there is a very long thead in the archives about this very thing.  my
stance is still what I wrote at the bottom here:

  http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=114987370431251&w=2

in short, we have an obligation to not bork our existing userbase who
may have been (perhaps unknowingly) taking advantage of this unique
feature of pnotes() for years and years.

--Geoff