perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject [suggestion] Change branching instructions to use svnmerge
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:40:55 GMT
In preparing for creating a branch for Torsten's threading work, I looked
at our BRANCHING document, and it's associated script build/svn.remerge.

Instead, I'd like to push forward a great svn merge tool, svnmerge[1]

It's nice, simple, and makes managing branches a breeze. I've been
using it at $work, and it's very nice. I am volounteering to update
the BRANCHING document to reflect how to use svnmerge instead, but
for the curious, it's something like:

$ trunk/> svnmerge avail
1234: Added foo bar
1245: Delete baz
$ trunk/> svnmerge merge -r 1234, 1245
$ trunk/> svn ci -m'merged bla bla from branch'
$ trunk/> svnmerge avail
$ trunk/>

It basically keeps track of what has been merged and where, as well as
what's available for merging. I hate to say it, but somewhat like Perforce
for those in the know ;-)

1: http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py