perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: Please help adding ModPerl::Interpreter
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:19:52 GMT

Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for testing purposes I need an interface to the modperl_interp_t. That means
> I'd like to check the current interp's refcnt and num_requests members from
> perl level.
>
> So I thought of adding a ModPerl::Interpreter XS module. But after reading
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/core/explained.html I am only more
> confused.
>
> Why is it so complicated to add a new XS module? Is it really necessary to
> edit all these tables and maps?

yeah :)

if you're really confused, see the commits when I added Apache::MPM

  http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-cvs&m=106978727408877&w=2
  http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl-cvs&m=106978912311523&w=2

the bulk of the main commit consists of the tests, but the interesting
changes are at the bottom.  if you just follow that pattern you should
be able to add the module of your choice.

> Further, somewhere is said that the source
> scanning is not yet stable. In fact I have tried it some time ago and got
> completely different results.

yeah.  IIRC we were leaving it to doug and his hacked version of C::Scan
to generate the official scan, with the rest of us modifying it as you
see in the commits.

> I know how to create such a module outside modperl but it would depend on
> modperl. But I need it to test modperl itself. Hence I cannot build the
> module outside modperl because I would not be able to install it without
> modperl.
>
> So, if someone knows better than me please help. A patch that adds a framework
> for the new module to modperl so that I could simply fill in my stuff would
> be best.
>
> An explanation what to would also be most appreciated.

HTH

--Geoff