perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: What can I do ...
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 06:35:57 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Torsten Foertsch wrote:
>> to have these 2 patches applied to trunk or to get a statement why they cannot
>> be applied?
>
> Something very similar to what you've been doing already ;-) In general,
> that's the correct approach. Post patches, explanations, test cases that
> expose the problem, and generally poke people about it.
>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/93415
>
> This one looks pretty good, and I think it's a cleaner approach
> to the currently uncorrect one.

I've just spent the evening looking at this more in details, and the
more I look, the more things look significantly broken. My latest
feeling was that your patch was not actually adressing the underlying
problem.

Here is where I am at so far. In many cases, once an interpreter has been
acquired and not yet released, nothing should really need to call interp_select()
to find an interpreter, as opposed to being handed that interpreter directly.

On the topic of interp->refcnt, check out xs/APR/Pool/APR_Pool.h, it's
the current customer of it, and uses it again in a strange/unobvious
way.

Anyways, I'll be poking at this some more shortly and post more of my
findings.

Torsten, thanks for the ithreads3 test case, it does correctly exercice
the problems every time. (I'd like to include it, but it would need to
be somewhat cleaned up to follow our current coding conventions, apart
from that, pretty good).

Good night!