perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@taperfriendlymusic.org>
Subject Trying to get a backtrace while debugging stacked handlers bug
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:00:49 GMT
Hello,

I've been hacking on this issue here -
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=115827296213433&w=2

and am trying cause a core dump so I can look through the backtrace with
gdb and figure out what's going on.  I'm a bit new to this level of
debugging so please bear with my naivete (have had my copy of practical
mod_perl handy so that's been my guide but I still need a little help)

To do this, I pushed a handler which should core dump, as so:

     # all 3 run
     PerlPostReadRequestHandler TestHooks::stacked_handlers2::ok
TestHooks::stacked_handlers2::ok
     PerlPostReadRequestHandler TestHooks::stacked_handlers2::push_handlers
     PerlPostReadRequestHandler TestHooks::stacked_handlers2::dump

sub dump {
     my $r = shift;
     $r->log->error("Dumping core");
     Debug::DumpCore::segv();
  }

but I'm not getting a core file.  I've built mod_perl with MP_TRACE=1
and MP_DEBUG=1, and set MP_PERL_TRACE=all, but I haven't gotten the
granularity I desire when running the test with
./t/TEST -VERBOSE t/hooks/stacked_handlers2.t.  I get the call stack
down to the handler level, but I need to get a more fine grained view of
what functions are being called.

Any advice welcome :)   I know I'll figure it out eventually, but I'm
guessing that this stuff is old hat to everyone on this list.

Thanks,

Fred