perl-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@taperfriendlymusic.org>
Subject Re: Modifying the Apache Log Entry
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:05:29 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>> Alternatively: Can the_request in Apache::RequestRec be made writable
>> again so that it works like before ?
>
>> From: http://search.cpan.org/dist/mod_perl/Changes
>> Apache::RequestRec methods changes [Stas] - readwrite => readonly:
>>
>>    connection, canonical_filename, header_only, main, next, prev,
>>    pool, per_dir_config, request_config, proto_num, protocol,
>>    request_time, server, the_request, unparsed_uri
>
> opening up $r->request_line() is probably acceptable.  I'd also consider
> protocol and maybe proto_num (after researching what it is),
> unparsed_uri, and perhaps header_only.  but that's about all.
>
> thoughs from other devs?

I think one of the biggest gains I made as a programmer was when I
overcame the mental block of what you could do with writing to 'read
only' methods.  I know I was one of the people who suggested that those
methods be read only - in retrospect I think that was a big mistake, and
I have regretted it ever since I broke through that mental block.

I would suggest making them _all_ read write  :)  You can do so much
cool stuff with the API, and I'd rather see it break because someone was
pushing the limits, rather than having to say "we don't allow that
because it might break".

my $0.02, for what it's worth :)