perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Modperl/Manifest.pm -- SVN 1.4.x breaks !!
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:00:14 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>>> Like um, are you kidding me?
>>>
>>> SVN switches the .svn dir's entries file to a binary format which
>>> IMHO is a good thing(tm) its much faster.
>>
>> Yay, that's fantastic!
>>
>>> Obviously, I swap some paths to get a 1.3.x and re-checkout to roll
>>> -rc2, but is there any reason a simple find . -type f  (not quite
>>> that simple) or similar won't work.  I guess we could do a  'svn
>>> status' if you really want to get SVN involved.  Or we could actually
>>> write out a MANIFEST file once and for all and then just update it
>>> like most other CPAN type projects.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> If you don't mind the delay, the following will do the same job as the
>> code below:
>>
>>    svn list -R https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk
> Well thats slightly better then the 'svn status -v' I committed last night.
> But it does pull the MANIFEST generation from local copy to server
> whereas status does not
> and the previous code uses the local copy.
>
> Which is better I don't know... But I think both are moot based on
> Randy's wants/desires
> for WIN32 / TortoiseSVN and svn not being in the %PATH%

Sorry, I missed Randy's comments.

Well, how about having this file auto-generated *and* commited, so only
before a new release someone, who does have an access to svn, will
re-auto-generate the file? And if Randy is RM, someone else could run
that update for Randy.

I think using the local copy is better since it should be faster.

Stas Bekman    mailto:stas@stason.org http://stason.org/
MailChannels: Reliable Email Delivery http://mailchannels.com
The "Practical mod_perl" book         http://modperlbook.org/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stasbekman http://perl.apache.org/