perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: repos/asf/perl/modperl/tags - IMPORTANT
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:29:10 GMT
Will read and respond in more detail later, but about 3 days after my post here, rooneg/chipig/wrowe
brought up this
issues on infra@ without anything from me, though I did respond.

Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

> On 26-Sep-06, at 6:06 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [CC'ed PMC@, feel free to drop it in replies]
>>
>> Our release management / tagging needs some attention.
>>
>> When we do:
>> svn copy  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk \
>>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/tags/$(VERSION_SYM)
>>
>> Its pretty much pointless at this point.
>>
>> 1) the svn:externals for Apache-Test ALWAYS point to TRUNK and are not
>> reflective
>>    of the intent of the tag.  This is fixable by simply svn propedit
>> svn:externals .
>>    after making the tag.  In the future, this will affect
>> Apache-SizeLimit as well.
>>    I do not think its worth it to update docs?
>
> Yes, this has been bugging me for a long time. Various things could be
> done about it.
>
> 1. Build up the 'tag' in multiple steps (automated), doing the svn copy,
> then updating
> the svn:externals, updating the release, etc
>
> The problem with this solution is, what do you update the svn:external
> proprety to ?
> You can't really update it easily, so it's almost best to svn copy
> Apache-Test into that
> new tag as well, without the externals
>
> 2. Never use svn:externals to anything but known fixed tags
> (Apache-Test/tags/0.01)
>
> #1 would be easier to implement, but cause all sort of pains for
> development. Any change
> that requires both A-T, and mp changes would need to be broken in 2
> pieces, checkin
> the A-T piece first, tag, update mp's external tag, checkin new mp code.
>
> To me, the most important thing is that if I choose to checkout
> modperl/tags/2.0.2/ I should
> get _exactly_ what was in  the published tarball. Exactly how we get
> there is left as an implementation
> detail ;-)

When I call your name, Girl, it starts to flame
Burning in my heart, Tearing it all apart..
No matter how I try My love I cannot hide....