perl-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject dynamically loading hooks
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:01:48 GMT
Hi all,
  I wanted to follow-up a bit on a thread that was on the main list
regarding hooking new hooks (I think there it was suexec_id).  I deleted
the original posts and don't have "proper" access now to make an elegant
response, but I wanted to share the idea before I forget it and see if
someone here could shape it a bit better.  It occurred to me that it may
be possible to allow for dynamic hooking to a very large extent by using
dlsym (or some equivalent trick) to turn a string into a function
pointer in C.  If we could pull that off, it shouldn't be so difficult
to allow additional hooks to be hooked in the post_config stage.  While
this wouldn't work for everything, we could pre-create maps for the
common argument data types (request_rec, server_rec, int, void) and that
should give us enough to let the user dynamically hook hooks in the
config.  The configuration directive might look like:

PerlAddHook HookName Some::Module::hook ReturnType ArgCount ArgTypes
[ArgTypes is limited to predefined allowed types which will be converted
to the corresponding perl structures]

This even gives us a minor speed boost of not requiring all hooks to be
hooked to further reduce overhead (since I seem to recall that Stas and
Doug went to a lot of effort to shave off everything that could be shaved).

Again, this is really more of a brainstorm than a matured
idea/suggestion, but wanted to get it off my chest :-)

  Issac