perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: repos/asf/perl/modperl/tags - IMPORTANT
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:03:45 GMT

On 26-Sep-06, at 6:06 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [CC'ed PMC@, feel free to drop it in replies]
>
> Our release management / tagging needs some attention.
>
> When we do:
> svn copy  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk \
> 	https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/tags/$(VERSION_SYM)
>
> Its pretty much pointless at this point.
>
> 1) the svn:externals for Apache-Test ALWAYS point to TRUNK and are
> not reflective
>    of the intent of the tag.  This is fixable by simply svn propedit
> svn:externals .
>    after making the tag.  In the future, this will affect Apache-
> SizeLimit as well.
>    I do not think its worth it to update docs?

Yes, this has been bugging me for a long time. Various things could be
done about it.

1. Build up the 'tag' in multiple steps (automated), doing the svn
copy, then updating
the svn:externals, updating the release, etc

The problem with this solution is, what do you update the svn:external
proprety to ?
You can't really update it easily, so it's almost best to svn copy
Apache-Test into that
new tag as well, without the externals

2. Never use svn:externals to anything but known fixed tags (Apache-
Test/tags/0.01)

#1 would be easier to implement, but cause all sort of pains for
development. Any change
that requires both A-T, and mp changes would need to be broken in 2
pieces, checkin
the A-T piece first, tag, update mp's external tag, checkin new mp code.

To me, the most important thing is that if I choose to checkout
modperl/tags/2.0.2/ I should
get _exactly_ what was in  the published tarball. Exactly how we get
there is left as an implementation
detail ;-)