perl-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Rolsky <auta...@urth.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r419247 - /perl/Apache-SizeLimit/trunk/Makefile.PL
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:00:12 GMT
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> autarch@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: autarch
>> Date: Wed Jul  5 08:06:29 2006
>> New Revision: 419247

>> Log:
>> Cannot call sub to define a constant if the sub has not yet been
>> defined, so just use a variable instead.
>
> hmm, it worked ok for me (and has for quite a while)... but ok, whatever.

It had to do with the fact that I had moved the code out of the constant
definition and into its own sub, and the sub was defined _later_ in the
file. Since "use constant" happens at compile time right when Perl sees
it, the sub was not yet in place.

> it was in the eval that defined HAS_APACHE_TEST, so no it wouldn't have.
>
> I think that code needs to be re-added back in.  maybe not exactly the
> way it was if you think it could be better, but the idea is so that no
> combination of Apache-Test, it's configuration files, or lack thereof
> causes a simple
>
>  $ perl Makefile.PL && make && make test
>
> to either fail or enter into an interactive process (which would also
> cause the CPAN shell to timeout and not work).  I worked pretty hard to
> cover all the cases, and I don't really code much without a real reason :)

Ah, good point. I didn't realize you were trying to avoid the prompts, as
I've seen those many times in the past.

I don't suppose there's a simple way to ask Apache::Test if it can find a
server without prompting the user? That seems like the best way to test
for this.

-dave