perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache-SizeLimit 0.90
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:37:25 GMT
Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> I agree, I would rather have a single Apache-SizeLimit that works in
>> both mp1/mp2 (like VMonitor for instance), and have it included in mp1/mp2
>> via svn:externals, making the release process the same.
>
> I don't think using svn:externals is really a good idea. The problem is
> that it doesn't give you any control over what you import.

You end up doing a svn:external on http://svn.apache.org/repos/perl/Apache-SizeLimit/tags/stable

Or somesuch, so that way, you bring in only a particular tag that the maintainer
of Apache-SizeLimit (you) deems safe/correct

Could even be

http://svn.apache.org/repos/perl/Apache-SizeLimit/tags/stable/mp1
http://svn.apache.org/repos/perl/Apache-SizeLimit/tags/stable/mp2

Or whatever scheme that makes sense

> That means if you're ready to release a new version of mod_perl but I
> check in a destabilizing change to Apache::SizeLimit, and then you "svn
> up", you get my bad change.

Yes, that would be bad

> I think it's best to simply do what the p5p folks do, which is import the
> source by copying it into the tree.

Well, you'd only import that source from a particularly safe tag/branch, like
the latest release branch, so that's more or less the same as my first suggestion,
except it takes no work from whoever is making the mp2 release.