perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache-SizeLimit 0.90
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:34:06 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>> Dave Rolsky wrote:
>>
>>>  file: $CPAN/authors/id/D/DR/DROLSKY/Apache-SizeLimit-0.9.tar.gz
>>>  size: 18685 bytes
>>>   md5: 59765709981ac232712a270cf2646247
>> So now that its out.  Lets first discuss how we get it into mod_perl-1.30 and release
that

> feel free to act as RM for mod_perl 1.0.  gozer has done the last few,
> but if you have the itch rock on.

I obviously don't have as much mod_perl tuits nowadays as I used to, but I am
still available/willing to take on the RM hat for mod_perl-1.x

>> Then into mod_perl 2.0
>
> my preference is to make the Apache-SizeLimit repository serve both mp1
> and mp2 somehow.  there are a number of ways to do this (full migration
> and externals, refactoring into a common codebase and using wrappers,
> etc) but I think some harmoneous relationship should be the goal.

I agree, I would rather have a single Apache-SizeLimit that works in
both mp1/mp2 (like VMonitor for instance), and have it included in mp1/mp2
via svn:externals, making the release process the same.

>> Or do we merely want to remove it from the mp distros and tell people to download
it
>> (which is not back compat)
>
> no, I don't think we want to do that.  it would mean future
> installations of mp1 or mp2 would use old code.  ordinarily perhaps not
> a problem, but I think it's far too late in the game to wreck people's
> expectations at this point - A::SL is similar to registry at this point
> in that folks consider it part of mod_perl I suspect.

I agree 100% with you here.

>> Also, I saw 2 changes that I'm going to mirror in Apache2::SizeLimit in svn for the
time being
>> (FBSD divide by 1024), drop darwin support.
>
> sweet.  but this is why we should be supporting both platforms from a
> single codebase and not splitting them apart.

Very much so. The core of A::SL is the resource monitoring/measuring, so it should
be not too hard to have a version that plays nicely with any version of mp.