perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [MP2] possible pnotes bug?
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:49:31 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Torsten Foertsch wrote:
>
>> What is the common understanding on this point by now?
>> -            retval = *hv_store(*pnotes, k, len, SvREFCNT_inc(val), 0);
>> +            retval = *hv_store(*pnotes, k, len, newSVsv(val), 0);
>
> Pushes the cobwebs aside.....
> I agree that the change you propose will accomplish what you want, but
> at some point later, don't we need to free this new AV()?
>
> I also agree with whichever faction says this can't happen in 2.0.x.

that's (at least) me.  I believe philippe was in favor of fixing it...

I'll accept proposing that modify the behavior in 2.2.x, provided we
document it very well.  altering 1.x is probably out of the question,
I'd think.

> I also don't see the need to change behavior thats been around for 5+
> years.  I realize its not necessarily the expected behavior. I vaguely
> recall you submitted a documentation patch which was committed.

and there's also a cpan module that makes things behave in the "new"
way, iirc, so people can get this behavior if they want it...

--Geoff