perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollu...@p6m7g8.com>
Subject Re: MP2.0.2 + HTTPD 2.2.0 Linux test failures (libaprutil-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file)
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 09:15:12 GMT
Darryl Miles wrote:
> I think you completely miss the point of my comments, but thanks for
> your reply.
No not really, I've fallen into this issue a plethora of times myself.

> I agree *-0 and *-1 are different versions required for different
> version of apache-httpd.  As I stated I have a Linux distribution copy
> of Apache 2.0.x, which uses *-0 (and I dont expect my apache 2.2.x to
> use it in any way).
The problem is the way configure is built in the APR distros .. it first
searches and uses your path regardless of any options you specify
(--with-apr, --with-apr-util).  I've brought this up on dev (at) apr
(dot) apache (dot) org before.  Also, if you search the archives of this
list, I believe joes commented on this too.  You (we) should take this
up there -- as mod_perl is just using what is reported to it by the
apr-1-config or apr-0-config.  I read both lists, so if you do move the
discussion, I'll follow it.

> My concern is that, if I have installed a perfect copy of Apache 2.2.x
> using the Apache file layout then I should not need to configure
> anything special for it to work.  Nor configure anything special for
> mod_perl2 to find the /opt/apache2_prefork/lib/libaprutil-1.so which I
> have.  That should work out-the-box.
You know I wish it would -- installing /usr/ports/subversion or anything
in FreeBSD/OpenBSD ports that installs an apr/apr-util in your default
path wreaks havoc in this fashion.

The WORST problem is that even if you setup the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable
correctly, ANY library in your path matching is still linked in.  This
will get you duplicate linking of libraries which I _gaurantee_ will
caus segfaults later (especially if they mix threads and no threads).

AFAIK, the only solution to this to to move them out of the way while
building.

> At this moment it does not work, I think thats very wrong.  At the least
> something like the ld.so environment variable equivalent
> LD_PRELOAD=/opt/apache2_prefork/lib/libaprutil-1.so should be set
> forcing a sane precedence order to load the DSOs.
Sadly its not quite that simple as this path has to be permenately added
to your search path or start/restart will fail after a reboot or in a
different shell.

This might be a good idea with a little more work, but before I go
changing anything if anyone else with a commit bit wants to chime in
that would be good.

> Maybe the ./configure script needs to add:
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$apache_prefix/lib:"
See above about about apr's configure

P.S.
   I feel your pain.