perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r386498 - in /perl/modperl/trunk: Changes lib/ModPerl/BuildMM.pm xs/APR/APR/Makefile.PL
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:51:52 GMT
stas@apache.org wrote:
> Author: stas
> Date: Thu Mar 16 16:40:43 2006
> New Revision: 386498

> Log:
> Make sure that LIBS and other MakeMaker command line flags are not
> ignored by the top level Makefile.PL and xs/APR/APR/Makefile.PL

Folks, please test it with the usual setups. Mike Smith was trying to
build a 64bit mp2 build, just to discover that we are ignoring any
external arguments like LIBS. So this is why I've applied this fix. We
have tested only LIBS, hopefully I caught the others, but I haven't tested
them.

We now have a Linux and Solaris 9 64bit builds of mod_perl - builds and
works just fine :)

p.s. for the curious and for the archives:

we needed to build 64bit on Solaris, because the 32bit binaries have a
hardcoded limitation of 256 file descriptors per process (stdio lib),
which the 64bits version doesn't have. e.g. you can't run this program on
32bit perl:

% ulimit -n 1000
% ulimit -n
1000
% perl -le 'use Symbol; my $max = shift; for (1..$max) { $fh{$_} = gensym;
open $fh{$_}, ">/tmp/aaa" or die "$!"}' 512
Too many open files at -e line 1.

Thanks to Alan Burlison for telling us how to fix that (building 64bit
perl and the rest).