perl-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Schindl <tom.schi...@bestsolution.at>
Subject Re: [MP2] possible pnotes bug?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:15:18 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Frank Wiles wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:35:45 -0500
>>Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm fine with fixing things in 2.0 if that's the majority consensus.
>

> I'd certainly put my vote in that direction.
>

>>>I'd have a really hard time doing anything that changes 1.0 behavior
>>>at this point, though.
>

> Oh, absolutely, 1.0 would stay as-is.
>

>>>the bugfix that was just committed is a good example of things I
>>>think we ought to be doing in 1.0 - something was clearly broken,
>>>caused things to blow up, so we fix it.  but to alter some functinal
>>>nuance simply because it doesn't feel right seems far beyond what we
>>>can do to our 1.0, production userbase.
>

> Agreed, unless it's some obvious, non-debatable breakeage/bug
>

>>  I agree, it makes sense to change it in 2.0 and leave it alone in 1.0
>>  provided we make it big, bold, and as idiot proof as possible in the
>>  docs. :)
>

> The current state of documentation for this 'feature' in 2.0 is certainly
> offputting for a mod_perl newbie, IMO
>
> "
>  Note: sharing variables really means it. The variable is not copied.
>  Only its reference count is incremented. If it is changed after being
>  put in pnotes that change also affects the stored value."
>

> So does anybody think this behaviour shouldn't be 'fixed' in 2.0 ?

Yes, I do not because I use this feature or think it should be changed
but it simply changes how mp2 behaves within a stable release-cycle but
that's only my opinion.

> Philippe M. Chiasson m/gozer\@(apache|cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ GPG KeyID : 88C3A5A5
> http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/     F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5

tom schindl    leiter softwareentwicklung/CSE   mobile  ++43 676 3232147
eduard-bodem-gasse 8/3    A-6020 innsbruck      fax      ++43 512 935833
http://www.bestsolution.at                      phone    ++43 512 935834