perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.3 and httpd 2.2
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:05:55 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:27:57AM -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>"support" is an odd word.  I think we "support" that it will compile and,
>>>now that 2.2 is official, that things that worked with 2.0 will continue to
>>>work with 2.2.  we do not "support" things that are new with 2.2, such as
>>>the provider mechanism.  IIRC there was also some filter foo that changed
>>>with 2.2 that stas was interested in, though I can't recall the details.
>>
>>Erh, it was supposed to be a showstopper for 2.2, but it was just ignored.
>>So the filter chain is still broken and you can't remove the filter which
>>is the very first one between connection and request filter chains (since
>>the chain is a one way linked list). And it'll probably will stay broken
>>forever in 2.x now.
>

> Stas you can't honestly be surprised by this.  Simply saying "hey guys I
> think *this* bug is a showstopper" is not going to suddenly inspire
> everyone to drop everything and go work night and day to fix the bug you
> found.  The issue in question is relatively obscure and has a relatively
> hard fix; that's not to say it'll never be fixed or that nobody cares.

I'm honestly not surprised about anything happening on the httpd land,
since a long time. It is clear as day that Apache is there to serve static
pages, and if other things happen to work, Apache is happy about it. If
not, oh well, too bad.

Joe, if you look carefully at this issue, you will see that Justin has
clearly said that this issue can and will be fixed in 2.2, but every time
I'd raise the issue ever since I'd be ignored. I gave up.

Anyway, there is no point to boil the water again. Let's spend our time in
a more productive way.