perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.3 and httpd 2.2
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:51:04 GMT
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:27:57AM -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >
> >Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>I'm thinking we should roll the 2.0.3 release soonish.
> >>
> >>1.  Fix the Apache2::Reload regression with mod_perl.pm
> >>
> >>2.  Update the docs to say we support 2.2.0 to avoid endless stream
> >> of questions.  I got a lot of that in the Tutorial at AC05.
> >

> >"support" is an odd word.  I think we "support" that it will compile and,
> >now that 2.2 is official, that things that worked with 2.0 will continue to
> >work with 2.2.  we do not "support" things that are new with 2.2, such as
> >the provider mechanism.  IIRC there was also some filter foo that changed
> >with 2.2 that stas was interested in, though I can't recall the details.
>
> Erh, it was supposed to be a showstopper for 2.2, but it was just ignored.
> So the filter chain is still broken and you can't remove the filter which
> is the very first one between connection and request filter chains (since
> the chain is a one way linked list). And it'll probably will stay broken
> forever in 2.x now.

Stas you can't honestly be surprised by this.  Simply saying "hey guys I
think *this* bug is a showstopper" is not going to suddenly inspire
everyone to drop everything and go work night and day to fix the bug you
found.  The issue in question is relatively obscure and has a relatively
hard fix; that's not to say it'll never be fixed or that nobody cares.

joe