perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: Apache-Test and Devel::Cover
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:03:23 GMT

Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>hi all :)
>>
>>I just commited a patch to Apache-Test in svn that removes all the
>>additional work involved with getting Devel::Cover to work for server side
>>tests.  now a simple 'make testcover' should be all you need to do to get
>>coverage results from code within handler() subroutines - no more adding
>>modperl_extra.pl entries or other associated foo.
>

> Cool, but when running within the mod_perl-2.0 build environment, you end up
> with a testcover target in ModPerl-Registry/Makefile and Apache-Test/Makefile,
> but not in the top-level directory.
>
> Any idea why ?

basically, this is because mod_perl sets up its own test target via MY::test
in it's top-level Makefile.PL.  ModPerl-Registry/Makefile.PL inherits its
test target from Apache::Test, a la

  use Apache::TestMM qw(test clean);

so, if we want to add coverage foo to mod_perl's test suite we need to do it
manually.  I'm not sure it's worth the effort, though - I can't even run a
simple 5 line handler consistently under D::C, let alone the whole mp2 test
suite.

--Geoff