perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: make test w/ TEST_FILES
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:06:38 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> I never use that approach. make test is a way too slow if you need to
>>> do repetitive testing. I always do:
>>>
>>>   t/TEST t/apache/content_length_header.t
>>>
>>> In which case it'll never descend into sub-dirs.
>>

>> Agreed.  Me too, but assuming for some reason someone did want make
>> test to do what I hoped it would do.
>

> Well, you can always fix it not to propogate the TEST_FILES argument.
> You will probably have to dig into makemaker's guts to figure out how.

please, please don't do that.  well, at least not anywhere in Apache-Test :)

some of us use TEST_FILES insanely frequently, so removing that is kinda out
of the question.

I'm not sure if it will help in your specific case, but instead of 'make
test' you can 'make run_tests' which skips the config/reclean part, making
life a bit quicker.  if you're doing non-apache related stuff for your test
you can also -no-httpd (via APACHE_TEST_EXTRA_ARGS if using make) to skip
httpd config, stop, and start.  that plus run_tests gives you back minutes
of your testing life if using A-T to run your test suite, are stuck with
make for running tests, and want to test a non-httpd-oriented test...

HTH

--Geoff