perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: PAUSE permissions
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:21:49 GMT
Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

>   > Whoever made the released that added these two packages had to figure out
>   > that those were new packages, go to PAUSE and re-add perms to APML (and
>   > probably all the co-maintainers). And that's entirely not their fault that
>   > they didn't do it. Go figure out what are the new files in a hundred of
>   > existing packages.
>
>   > This will keep on happening *all the time* until PAUSE will either treat
>   > perms per all files in the tar-ball and not individually or figure out how
>   > to automatically re-adjust perms for those newly added packages. At the
>   > very least the indexer needs to alert the submitter that there were new
>   > packages added and suggest to check whether others need to get perms to
>   > it, hopefully provide a one-click link to accomplish the task.
>
>                                  ****
>      I know how much this sucks, its nothing new to me and I will
>         fix it but there are still other more urgent and less
>                       complicated things to fix
>                                  ****
>
> I once again must point out that the sucking factor is not as high as
> it is sometimes believed given these facts:
>
> * Two modules in a hundred not being indexed is not the heaven falling
>   down. It does not really hurt anybody.
>
> * The mail from the indexer that Philip was citing is providing
>   exactly the information you are looking for.
>
> * You go to PAUSE and ask it about the offending packages like so:
>
>   https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?pause99_peek_perms_by=me&pause99_peek_perms_sub=Submit&pause99_peek_perms_query=ModPerl::PerlRunPrefork
>
>   Answer is: GOZER
>
>   https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?pause99_peek_perms_by=me&pause99_peek_perms_sub=Submit&pause99_peek_perms_query=ModPerl::RegistryPrefork
>
>   Answer is: GOZER
>
>   This is hardly rocket science.
>
> * GOZER has an interface on PAUSE to pass the ownership to APML with a
>   single click. (I just did that for him, it took me 1 minute)
>
>   -- Every uploader has a chance to do this step immediately after he
>      gets the mail from the indexer, making the sucking factor even
>      smaller for the next release.
>
> * You (and maybe others? I do not remember) have an interface on PAUSE
>   to make Philip co-maintainer for all APML modules with a single
>   click. (I just did that for you, it took me 1 minute)
>
> * Philip has an interface to reindex the file with a single keystroke
>   (I just did that for him, it took me less than a minute)
>
> * I repeat: Yes, this sucks. So please keep this email around. It
>   sucks less if you know how it currently works.

Andreas, I know the workarounds, but for some reason we keep getting to
that issue every few months (may be because not everybody knows them).
Really, I'm more concerned with your time you've wasted on fixing those
issues. And time of all involved, all combined could have probably fixed
the issue long time ago.

Do you think it'd be helpful if I could invest some time in helping with
that issue (granted I'm not familiar with pause code)? I'd start with a
simple suggestion I've suggested in the last email:

step1: when a package containing new modules is submitted: the indexer
needs to alert the submitter that there were new packages added and
suggest to check whether others need to get perms to it, hopefully provide
a one-click link to accomplish the task."

step2: when a package is submitted by another developer, who for some
reason doesn't have perms for some of the modules, the indexer could
suggest one-click link to fix the problem. It could suggest emailing the
person who have added the package in first place and have a list of ready
links to click for them to fix the problem. all this can be automated and
will save everybody a lot of time.

Does this sound like a lot of work? it doesn't solve the problem, but it
suggests to automate all the steps that you've described in this email,
and saves your time, Andreas.