perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: PAUSE permissions
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 05:32:45 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

>> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming that you have the APML karma, here is how to do it.
>>>
>>> 1) login into https://pause.perl.org
>>> 2) menu click: Select Mailinglist/Action
>>> 3) choose APML and share_perms and click go
>>> 4) click 3.1 Make somebody else co-maintainer
>>> 5) choose the modules to give the perms to
>>>    type the username of the new co-maintainer
>>>
>>> and you are done. (I guess you want to save that somewhere, RELEASE
>>> file?)
>>>
>>> I've done the above for Philip, but it said that he already had these
>>> perms. So if Philip still can't index then you need to contact Andreas.
>>

>> I'll add to RELEASE file as I already made a note to prevent mishaps
>> in the future.
>>
>> I just scheduled a re-index also.
>
> No dice.  Or I should say, so close but not quite.  Looks like only 2 of
> them failed.
>
> I've cc'ed Andreas.
>
> ---- indexer report ----
>
> The following report has been written by the PAUSE namespace indexer.
> Please contact modules@perl.org if there are any open questions.
>   Id: mldistwatch 645 2005-09-19 06:41:20Z k
>
>                User: PGOLLUCCI (Philip M. Gollucci)
>   Distribution file: mod_perl-2.0.2.tar.gz
>     Number of files: 968
>          *.pm files: 313
>              README: mod_perl-2.0.2/README
>            META.yml: mod_perl-2.0.2/META.yml
>   Timestamp of file: Fri Oct 21 01:27:23 2005 UTC
>    Time of this run: Thu Oct 27 03:58:24 2005 UTC
>
> The following packages (grouped by status) have been found in the distro:

>      module: ModPerl::PerlRunPrefork
>     version: 0.01
>     in file: mod_perl-2.0.2/ModPerl-Registry/lib/ModPerl/PerlRunPrefork.pm
>      status: Not indexed because permissions missing. Visit PAUSE and
>              click "View Permissions" to find the legitimate
>              maintainer(s).
>
>      module: ModPerl::RegistryPrefork
>     version: 0.01
>     in file: mod_perl-2.0.2/ModPerl-Registry/lib/ModPerl/RegistryPrefork.pm
>      status: Not indexed because permissions missing. Visit PAUSE and
>              click "View Permissions" to find the legitimate
>              maintainer(s).

Whoever made the released that added these two packages had to figure out
that those were new packages, go to PAUSE and re-add perms to APML (and
probably all the co-maintainers). And that's entirely not their fault that
they didn't do it. Go figure out what are the new files in a hundred of
existing packages.

This will keep on happening *all the time* until PAUSE will either treat
perms per all files in the tar-ball and not individually or figure out how
to automatically re-adjust perms for those newly added packages. At the
very least the indexer needs to alert the submitter that there were new
packages added and suggest to check whether others need to get perms to
it, hopefully provide a one-click link to accomplish the task.