perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: release canditates
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:52:08 GMT

Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose the following change to make rolling release
> candidates slightly easier.
>
> Instead of removing the -dev in ./Changes, we could change it to rc1,
> rc2...., etc.

um...

I know this has been committed already, but the ramifications of this are
that people using inbetween versions of stuff will report -rc1 instead of
-dev.  for example, if redhat releases the next mod_perl using a development
version it will come back as -rc1 and not -dev.  personally, I find this
quite misleading, since it will clearly _not_ be the rc1 that ends up
floating around before we make the next release, so now we need to ask "hmm,
was that _the_ rc1 or something from 5 months before rc1?"

does it matter, maybe or maybe not.  but it's something to consider.

oh, and test-dev@httpd.apache.org is for perl-framework and flood things -
A-T-only discussions should probably be limited to test-dev@perl.apache.org
to limit overload on people completely uninterested in things perl :)

--Geoff