perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: $|, flushing, etc... [was Next Release]
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 05:46:04 GMT
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
[...]
> 6.  Okay so from the 4 above attached files in #5 it looks like
> PerlIOApache_flush() is being called, but not working.
>     [I'll list this function at the end of the e-mail.]
>     Basically, I think there is a SNAFU here
>
> MP_RUN_CROAK(modperl_wbucket_flush(rcfg->wbucket, FALSE), ":Apache2 IO
> flush");
>
> That FALSE ends up being add_flush_bucket so even though we call flush
> we never get a flush bucket!!!!!!

I think your observation and the fix are correct Philip. But before we
commit any fix we need to have a test that breaks and the fix fixes it.

 > However, this needs to be conditionalized on $| which I've no
 > idea how to test for in XS yet.

Oh the joys of perl guts. Assuming that you work on the selected gv, the
check would be:

   (IoFLAGS(GvIOp(PL_defoutgv)) & IOf_FLUSH)

for more walk around doio.c perlio.c and similar files in the perl source
code. Let me know if you need more help.

However I'm not sure why do you need that. I think PerlIOApache_flush
shouldn't be called if $| is not true in first place.