perl-dev mailing list archives

From Andy_B...@wiwb.uscourts.gov
Subject Re: -Wdeclaration-after-statement Final version
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:34:40 GMT
> > Isn't "return;" the more canonical way of returning false ?
> Beats me... I know a lot of the mp2 code particular Apache2::Status as I

was just digging in there uses return 0.  I really have no preference.

Just a note, the new "Perl Best Practices" Damian Conway, suggest a bare
return is best.  In particular
return undef;
is a bad idea as it'll slip an undef  into list context (so for zero too?)
which, he shows, can be problematic.

Good book.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach@wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5932

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
 you are,  by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian Kernighan