perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: new MP_ option MP_LIB_DESTDIR
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:20:44 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> would it be worth while / useful to have another option to install the
>> MP2 related *.pm/*.so files somewhere outside the PERL lib tree?  In
>> my thoughts, this would be used in tandem with MP_AP_DESTDIR.
>>
>> I ask because, when I want to have lots of perl/httpd/mp2 combinations
>> installed, can threaded vs non threaded installs be installed in the
>> same perl tree? Of course if it doesn't matter, and I just have to
>> load the corerct mod_perl.so library, stop reading, and let me. :)
>

> I suppose, in principle, there could be conflicts if one was
> using a mp2 compiled against one Apache with another Apache;
> however, couldn't one use the standard MakeMaker PREFIX
> to install the perl files in a specified location?

That's what we all do at the moment. There is no problem loading .pm/.so
files no matter what apache they were compiled with.

-0 to this new option.

Here is how I deal with multiple DSO objects that end up in the same
apache modules tree. I have a script that does this:

#!/bin/sh
make install
base="/home/stas/httpd/prefork"
ver=`ldd $base/modules/mod_perl.so | grep libperl.so | perl -ne
'm|/home/stas/perl/([^/]*)/| && print $1'`
cp $base/modules/mod_perl.so $base/modules/mod_perl-$ver.so

and then in the 3rd party modules test suites, I have something like:

perl-5.8.1-ithread Makefile.PL \
-apxs /home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs \
-libmodperl mod_perl-5.8.1-ithread.so

For static builds, just append the perl version/args to the httpd binary's
filename.