perl-dev mailing list archives

From Malcolm J Harwood <mjhlist-modp...@liminalflux.net>
Subject Re: Scoreboard plans?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:37:51 GMT
On Tuesday 21 June 2005 04:19 pm, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> > I'm not sure if it makes sense to have it in Apache2::Connection, as the
> > WorkerScore is process/thread based rather than connection based. (It
> > does have connection specific information in it, but it also has more long
> > lived data).
> I'm guessing it's there because that's where it's stored in the Apache
> internals. My suspicion (without digging) is that the scoreboard-worker
> (i.e. a line in the scoreboard) lives with a connection, and when that
> connection goes on to process another request it gets updated
> appropriately.

The whole thing is a shared memory block. The worker lives with a
process/thread. The scoreboard has many processes, each process has one or
more workers depending on whether you are running threads or not.

The worker stores some things that are process/thread specific (eg. bytes
served since this process/thread was started), some that are connection
specific (eg. number of requests served) and some that are request specific
(eg. name of the request).

So the worker is this odd amalgam of data with different scopes.

To my mind, any accessors therefor belongs more in Apache::Scoreboard than in
Apache2::Connection. Having Apache::Scoreboard provide a "current_worker()"
function would make sense though.