perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl2_current (from today) + EL4 == segfault
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:57:39 GMT
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 01:10:11PM -0700, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> > But 2.0.x does not support LFS, people who build with
> > -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 are playing with fire and should completely
> > expect everything to burn down around them at any moment.  This
> > combination is untested and unsupported, and it is known to break in
> > horrible ways with various third-party modules.
>
> Yes, and as can be seen by that original segfault, you can't expect a
> combination like this to work. Hoever, If it's a problem likely to appear
> to many of our users, I'd rather at least try and warn them about it.
>
> "Whoa there, you are trying largefiles with httpd-2.0.x, enjoy the segfaults!"

Actually it looks like the problem is exactly that apr-config --cflags
etc is *not* exporting the -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 flag; it is used when
building APR/httpd, but then is not picked up by mod_perl.  So the cause
of the problem is exactly the reason why mod_perl can't detect it. :(

I'd not be desperately unhappy to make APR 0.9.x refuse to build in this
configuration, but it would needlessly annoy those users who *do* know
what they're doing at the expense of those who don't.  Not sure what's
best to do.

joe