perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.0 version tweaks
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 14:34:49 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Actually I don't think this is right:
>
>      our $API_VERSION = 2;
>
> but it's probably too late to change. It should probably be
> $API_VERSION_MAJOR, since if 2.2 comes out having $API_VERSION = 2 may
> no longer be a good idea. but we could probably introduce those and
> deprecate $API_VERSION in 2.2.

That's a tough call, but it's not too late to change this.
Now IMO is the time to get it right, not after we've blessed
mp2.0.0.

So what's the upside to  $API_VERSION_MAJOR/MINOR versus
$API_VERSION?  From I perl programmer's perspective, I don't
see it.  I think all we need to do is document (& test for)
the behavioral differences between in our APIs httpd 2.0 and
httpd 2.2.  For instance when I use httpd's trunk, some of
our content-length-header tests fail, the proxy tests all fail,
and now even the pseudo-http protocol tests completely hang.
>From a perl programmer's perspective, the mp2 methods
haven't changed, they've just changed behavior when compiled
against a different webserver.  Whether or not they consider
2.2 to be a significant upgrade over 2.0 remains to be seen.

So, how best to manage this?  I think the best way is to
leave $API_VERSION_MAJOR the way it is, and then hedge our
bets about how much support we want to claim for httpd-2.2.
Remember, once we release mod_perl-2.2.0 to CPAN, all subsequent
releases of the mod_perl-2.0.x line will not be visible there.

--
Joe Schaefer