perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.0 version tweaks
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 03:29:27 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Geoffrey Young <geoff@modperlcookbook.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>>Ok, lets do that.  But first we need to agree on what "right" is.
>>
>>didn't we have this discussion already?  IIRC my initial implementation
>>had major/minor and after discussion we decided against it.
>

> But I think Stas wants to take a stronger stance on what the
> minor number conveys to users.  I think he wants to say that 2.0.x
> releases are guaranteed to be fully compatible with 2.0.y releases,
> where x < y.  If you want to do that, I think there's a potential
> problem with trying to support both versions of httpd within a
> single mp2 release, because the behavior of some of their C APIs
> will have changed.  The reason I think Stas wants it this way
> is that he's also arguing that the mp2.0 API is fixed in stone
> once 2.0.0 is released.

Backwards compatibility is fixed in stone. New APIs can certainly be added
and the existing extended if that doesn't modify the way current APIs work.

> Hence all subsequent API changes, even
> those inherited from httpd, must be incorporated into mp2.2.

That or possible incompatibilities introduced by httpd-2.x (not
necessarily 2.2 but 2.4, etc) and which affect mod_perl. It can be on of
the two cases, or both.

> I guess it depends on what you think mp2 is all about.  To me
> it's about exposing the server's guts, and from that perspective
> the mp2 version numbers are only concerned with the XS glue.  So I
> don't mind if the behavior changes depending on which webserver
> I compile mp2 against.  But for someone with a less lax attitude,
> such changes might break the minor-versioning rules for mp2, unless
> both behaviors are fully documented by mp2.  Personally I think
> this is asking too much of the mp2 team, and would prefer the
> whole minor numbering scheme replaced with something simpler
> like what apreq2 does with its package numbering.

Well, do whatever you feel is right.