perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.0 version tweaks
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 16:16:54 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>What my proposal has to do with Apache versions? I was talking about
>>the mp2.x issue.
>

> Just to make sure I understand you, are you saying that mp2.2 will
> also support apache-2.0?

We can't say anything for sure at the moment.

> I'm just trying to understand what is the
> significance of the minor number here.
> Are you saying the rule for mp2.x
> will be the same as for perl.5.x, with deprecation cycles, etc.?

I'm not saying anything, but:

The significance is that mp2.2 will be API-incompatible with mp2.0. So
there is a need for a mechanism to check that. Certainly $VERSION can be
used, but what was the point of introducing $API_VERSION then.

>>How people are going to distinguish between mp2.0 and mp2.2 other than
>>using $VERSION? If you are introducing extra APIs for versioning at
>>least get it right.
>
> Ok, lets do that.  But first we need to agree on what "right" is.

My proposal is:

- drop $API_VERSION
- introduce:
   o $API_VERSION_MAJOR (2 for mp2.x
   o $API_VERSION_MINOR (0 for mp2.0, 2 for mp2.2, etc)
   and equivalent C define macros:
   o MODPERL_API_VERSION_MAJOR
   o MODPERL_API_VERSION_MINOR

if we will never see mp2.x but 2.0, then $API_VERSION_MINOR will be
unused. And we don't need to tell people to check $API_VERSION_MINOR at
the moment. But if 2.2 is released then it'll be easy to tell mp2.0 from
mp2.2 by checking $API_VERSION_MINOR.