perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.0 version tweaks
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 14:43:21 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Actually I don't think this is right:
>>
>>     our $API_VERSION = 2;
>>
>>but it's probably too late to change. It should probably be
>>$API_VERSION_MAJOR, since if 2.2 comes out having $API_VERSION = 2 may
>>no longer be a good idea. but we could probably introduce those and
>>deprecate $API_VERSION in 2.2.
>

> That's a tough call, but it's not too late to change this.
> Now IMO is the time to get it right, not after we've blessed
> mp2.0.0.
>
> So what's the upside to  $API_VERSION_MAJOR/MINOR versus
> $API_VERSION?  From I perl programmer's perspective, I don't
> see it.  I think all we need to do is document (& test for)
> the behavioral differences between in our APIs httpd 2.0 and
> httpd 2.2.  For instance when I use httpd's trunk, some of
> our content-length-header tests fail, the proxy tests all fail,
> and now even the pseudo-http protocol tests completely hang.
>>>From a perl programmer's perspective, the mp2 methods
> haven't changed, they've just changed behavior when compiled
> against a different webserver.  Whether or not they consider
> 2.2 to be a significant upgrade over 2.0 remains to be seen.

What my proposal has to do with Apache versions? I was talking about the
mp2.x issue. How people are going to distinguish between mp2.0 and mp2.2
other than using $VERSION? If you are introducing extra APIs for
versioning at least get it right.

> So, how best to manage this?  I think the best way is to
> leave $API_VERSION_MAJOR the way it is, and then hedge our

But that's exactly the problem: there is no  $API_VERSION_MAJOR, but
$API_VERSION, which doesn't leave much for the future.