perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: syncing branches with trunk, how?
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 15:58:05 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:06:06PM -0400, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Joe Orton wrote:
>>
>>>You can use a semi-automated technique by recording the last-merge-point
>>>as a property; I've been using this script:
>>>
>>>http://people.apache.org/~jorton/svn.remerge
>>>
>>>for one of my projects, it seems to work quite well.  To begin, set the
>>>"merge-point" property on the branch to the revision number of the last
>>>merge from the trunk, and just run the script to merge again from a wc
>>>of the branch.
>>>
>>>(it assumes you have the standard repos structure with a "trunk/"
>>>alongside "branches/)
>>
>>Thanks a lot, Joe. So since I have tagged the trunk before doing the
>>branch, can I now go back in time and add a merge-point? I guess I just
>>need to checkout the tag and add a merge-point? is that right? if not how
>>do I do it?
>

> (I just uploaded a new version of that script which should work properly
> with the ASF SVN repos)
>
> The "merge-point" property used by that script is a property set on the
> root directory of the branch, used to record the *last* revision which
> was merged into that branch from the trunk.
>
> I presume you are dealing with the "clone-skip-unstable" branch, right?

That's correct.

> It looks like that branch has not been merged from the trunk ever, so
> far, yes?

Never.

> Looking at the commit logs, that branch was created from revision 165203
> of the trunk - so that is the last "merge point".  To use my little
> script, you do:
>
> $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/branches/clone-skip-unstable \
>          my-working-copy
> $ cd my-working-copy
> $ svn propset merge-point 165203 .
> $ svn.remerge
>
> the script does the merge from between 165203 and HEAD of the trunk into
> that working copy, and resets the merge-point property to the revision
> number of the HEAD, ready for next time.  So finally you just commit the
> working copy.
>
> Does that make sense?

/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-no-clone> svn propset merge-point 165203 .
property 'merge-point' set on '.'

/home/stas/apache.org/mp2-no-clone> ./svn.remerge
./svn.remerge: merging from trunk from r165203 to r
+ svn merge -r165203:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/trunk .
svn: Syntax error in revision argument '165203:'
+ svn propset merge-point
svn: Explicit target required ('.' interpreted as prop value)
+ svn log -r165204: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/trunk/trunk
svn: Syntax error in revision argument '165204:'

that's with your latest version.

Thanks Joe.