perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Some small fixes...
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 16:33:11 GMT
Nick *** wrote:
>  >Thanks, committed.
>  >
>  >> I didn't use File::Copy, because it's not use(d) at the beginning of Build.pm,
so I thought it isn't loaded.
>  >
>  >It should be loaded. I've added the loading.
>  >

> Thanks Stas. Meanwhile I've cooked another patch, but first...
> This code in ModPerl::BuildOptions bugs me:
>
> if ($build->{MP_AP_PREFIX} and $build->{MP_APR_CONFIG}) {
>         error "You need to pass either MP_AP_PREFIX or MP_APR_CONFIG, " .
> "but not both";
>          die "\n";
>      }
>
> Why MP_AP_PREFIX and MP_APR_CONFIG cannot be used together? I guess
> this is valid only when MP_AP_PREFIX is pointing to an installed httpd,
>  because when MP_AP_PREFIX is pointing to a source tree, I can get
> around this check by adding MP_AP_CONFIGURE="--with-apr=...". It's
> logical to me that this check should work only when MP_AP_PREFIX is not
> pointing to a source tree, because, I think, it shouldn't be possible
> to build mod_perl with different apr than the one httpd was build with.
> But then again, if the above is true, there should be the same check
> for MP_APR_CONFIG and MP_APXS, because as I see in Apache2::Build,
> MP_APR_CONFIG will take precedence over the value supplied by apxs. Is
> my guess a good one?

While MP_AP_PREFIX originally was used to point to the install tree, it's
no longer the case. MP_AP_PREFIX should only be used when building a
statically linked httpd/mod_perl. In which case you don't need
MP_APR_CONFIG, since all the needed sources live under MP_AP_PREFIX.

Why would you want to use a different libapr? If you do that you will end
up with Apache linking against one libapr and mod_perl against another,
which is a certain way to get things crashed.

As for MP_APR_CONFIG and MP_APXS not conflicting with each other, the
MP_APR_CONFIG was added exactly because apxs is not always able to tell us
where to find libapr, which is the case with distros messing things up.